The Story of Amos:Obituary

By no means I am trying to be disrespectful or cruel the family of Amos. This is only a FICTIONAL story. This is only written for classwork.

It was pouring outside,tonight. The pitter patter on my window was reminding me of when the LST sank in the English channel. I was working for the European Theater of Operations, in 1944.  I remember the screaming on the ship when it began to sink. I could still hear them today. The sirens are still going on in my mind. I remember my best friend Johnny, he was asleep in the office room. He had twins on the way,back home.

I ran past the other soldiers, heading to the office room. I could see the water coming in the ship. My heart and soul knew I had to save Johnny, and everyone else left in the boiler room. I kicked open the door. I saw seven people sounded asleep. I saw Johnny on the floor next to the ladder up to the command room. I shoved him hard, he looked at me with the most worried eyes I have ever seen.

“The ship is sinking, we need to leave NOW,” I yelled. Johnny got up so quickly to wake up the rest of the soldiers. I slung two men over my arms and ran to save us all. The running footsteps of us,still bring a mixture of haunting and grace. Haunting because in the end I got wounded and see death in the eyes,also I could have turned the other cheek from Johnny. Grace because I saved my best friend ,and my crew members. I do not regret saving them.

The thunder cracks outside my window, it brings me out of my memory. I  stare out the window,reminiscing about LST. I begin to think how is Johnny? I have not heard of him after I moved to Tennessee. Is he still back home? How are his twins? Did he have more children?

I get up to call his old house number. Surely, he must have moved but maybe he did not. After WWII, we went home,I got married and moved. There is no harm done, for me trying to reconnect. I pick up the bright blue telephone and dial. I hear it ring once, twice. What I am doing it is 11:33, and calling Johnny. It rang a third time, and I heard his voice.

“Hello”

“Johnny, its Amos, I know its been a long time since we spoke, I wanted to apologize or not calling you after my move. I’m sorry” Tears begin to blur my vision.

“Amos! How are you, no need to apologize, I understand,Say wont you come back home so we can catch up in person?”

I immediately said yes, reconnecting with him was the miracle. I went back home and caught up with Johnny for two weeks. Those two weeks were the best of my life, my family with his. Creating memories until my last breath.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dnj/obituary.aspx?n=amos-gruber&pid=188363896&fhid=13976